Freitag, 2. September 2016

48 hours without any money in a foreign country - Part 3

Wednesday afternoon

In the afternoon I return to the hostel to pick up my trolley. In the lounge there is a kind of booth where 5 hammocks are swinging, softly moved by the air or by one or  the other person lying into them.

I hesitate. To all intents and purposes...I still have time before leaving for my appointment with Alexandra. The thought is not already finished as I find myself cozily sprawled out in one of those inviting hammocks. I enjoy the slow, swaying rhythm – left, right, left, right – and try to remember when I had last time so many chilling and carefree moments.

No one who wants me on the phone or somewhere else, no duties, nothing to accomplish – life is absolutely perfect in the here and now.

When I finally get up I see a book lying under the hammock next to me: It is Eckhart Tolle`s ”The power of NOW”. I burst out in laughter.

I leave the hostel which had really been hospitable to me. Thank you Lucia, Alison, Joe and the nice night porter, who patiently had answered all my questions and had provided me with a large, fluffy bath towel – for free, of course.

In front of the door there is standing a taxi. No, he is not interested in any way to drive me round Copenhagen without being paid. But he explains me carefully how to go best to Frederiksberg Have (Have = Gardens). Its 4-5 km to walk across the city and his eyes say clearly: Hey, girl, don´t be silly and take my taxi! He does not believe that anybody with a bit of brains would walk around  - let alone travel around! – without any money.

I consider this distance as a combination of sightseeing and workout and start walking. The stretch leads me literally across the center of Copenhagen. Citizens going for a drink after work, tourists on hunt for souvenirs, teenagers “checking the scene” and live music at every corner.

On each of the big squares I see there is a building site. Copenhagen is constructing a new subway. I already know it from my ride from the airport into the city.

I reach the town hall and discover next to it Tivoli, one of the worlds oldest pleasure grounds. As I was told, many Copenhageners own season tickets and visit the park regularly. On it´s other end there is the central station, an imposing building. The whole area evaporates a strange atmosphere. I feel trepidation and walk faster to get away from here.

Everywhere I go the streets are broad with mostly four or even six traces plus large bicycle ways. There are no bends or turns. A fact that makes me feel to walk into infinity. As it turns out, walking makes me a philosopher. 

After one hour of walking there is still no clue of the park. I ask somebody and learn, that I am on the right way, but its still REALLY FAR, 2 km or so. Umph. Better to ask one more person. The same answer. Umph again.

Courageously I walk on. After a while I ask again for the way. I am still right and now it is less than one km to go.

On my way I have taken a lot of pictures and now my cellphone´s battery is flat.
I meet Alexandra next to the entrance. Sympathy on the first sight and fortunately on both sides.






Frederiksberg Have is wonderful. In its center there is a big castle 
among an elaborated terrace-garden. Old trees, a fountain, people sitting on the grass, enjoying the evening sun and having picnic.

We sit down and in the middle of chatting ducks, geese and nature spirits we have a  deep and inspiring meditation.

Afterwards Alexandra shows me in another part of the park an area with formal gardens. They are beautiful and we explore them in length and depth. At a water basin we stop. With the very tip of one finger Alexandra touches gently the surface of the water. A very small wave forms and grows visibly on and on. In less then on minute the wave is enormous and reaches the other end of the basin.

Finally it´s hunger which motivates us to go home. Unfortunately (not really, but in this special case for me) Alexandra lives on the other end of Frederiksberg. Another nearly one and a half hours walk appeased my appetite for workouts. Likely for the next two years.

At home we quickly cook a meal and prepare the sofa for me. I recharge my phone. When I check the messages, I have to sit down.

There are TWO other offers for a sleepover tonight. TWO. MORE.
This experiment without money comes out to be an experience of true abundance.


Please share, if you like my adventure!

To be continued

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen