Dienstag, 6. September 2016

48 hours without any money in a foreign country - Part 5

Needs

My cellphone badly needs recharging. I enter the market hall next to me and I am welcomed by groovy feel-good music. It comes from a smørrebrød-stand.

I cant help dancing and watch the two men in the stand preparing platters with artful decorated and neatly assorted pieces of the famous Danish dish. They concentrate on slicing, washing, boiling and peeling the different additions and simultaneously spread an atmosphere of professionalism and fun. Every single hand movement is quick and precise. It is joy to watch this aesthetic working-style. I ask one of the men if he would recharge my phone. Of course! He plugs in the phone and stows it under his worktop.

My steps still in the rhythm of the music, I return to my sunny bench and realize that my water bottles would like a recharge, either. And a toilet would be fine. I take a look around – there is a small building where my wishes might be fulfilled. I walk over to the tiny house – yes!

Above the entrance there is a little sign with the international symbol for “women” on it. I still hesitate. It does not look too inviting. But then…

The moment I enter my mouth opens in amazement and it hardly shuts again. I am standing in a superclean and well cured place, in front of a row of antique massive wooden doors, highly polished. The floor: terrazzo. Finest Venetian wash.


At the end there is a small, light room where a woman is sitting at a table. I walk up to her and apologize for not paying. She smiles at me and tells me using the toilet was at no charge. Then she watches me carefully. “If you have no money, there is a place you can go. There you get food, a shower or a bed in exchange for work. A meal for example would cost one hour of work. The organization´s name is Kofoeds Skole.”

I ask her if she could write it down for me. She nods, then opens up a laptop, switches it on, types and searches. Finally she hits a key and prints two pages with the adress and a description of Kofoeds Skole.
Another magic moment on my journey: A public toilet with a full equiped office and this calm, friendly and helpful woman with her wise eyes. I thank her and leave, the two pages in my hands.


To be continued.
If you like my adventure, please share with your friends!


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen